US Awards - Other Questions

Q: Why aren’t there a set number of awards?
A: The Commission receives a varying sum of money each year from the UK and US governments, sponsors, and universities to put towards its Awards Programme. This means that the number of awards is not fixed and can change depending on tuition fees, inflation and the number of co-sponsored awards offered. Recently this has been approximately 35-45 US Postgraduate Student Scholar awards, and 25-35 US Scholars, Distinguished Chair and Visiting Professor awards. 

Q: Is that Fulbright grant sufficient to cover all of my expenses?
A: The amount of the award depends on the award category.  It is meant to be a significant contribution towards tuition fees (where applicable), housing, food, study expenses, domestic UK travel and other maintenance costs. You will likely need to pay for other elements and you should investigate this with your intended host institution as far in advance as possible. The Fulbright Commission will cover the costs of trips to London for required events, and for participation in Fulbright outreach activities, but is unable to fund other travel including your initial flight to the UK and your return flight home. 

Q: What other benefits does Fulbright offer besides financial funding?
A: While we provide a contribution towards tuition and maintenance, we are also very focused on the cultural experience of our Fulbright scholars. Consequently, we offer:

Q: What happens if I don’t finish my course of study while in the UK?
A: Fulbright guidelines require any student to finish the course of study they have started as a Fulbright scholar. If a person fails to do so, we may require that all funding be returned to the Fulbright Commission. For more information, please review the Terms and Conditions for the award category to which you intend to apply.

Q: How can I fund study beyond the first year that Fulbright covers?
A: If you are unsure about how to fund a 2nd year of a Masters or PhD, we suggest that you look into this at the same time as you apply for a Fulbright award.  Additionally the Fulbright Advisory Service can help you investigate additional sources of funding.

Q: Will I have the opportunity to travel outside of the UK?
A: The Fulbright Commission requires that all grantees spend no more than 3 weeks (or less depending on the length of the course) outside of the UK during their grant period unless the trip is part of their project and approved by the Awards Director. The awards are for learning in and about the UK, so we want our grantees to spend as much time physically in the UK as possible. The Fulbright Commission may provide opportunities to travel in the UK for various events. These often include trips to London. The Commission pays for travel to and from all of the mandatory events throughout the year, as well as accommodation and most meals at these events.

Q: Can you provide me with specific feedback and/or reasons why I was or was not selected for a Fulbright Award?
A: No. It is the policy of the Commission not to give to individual applicants, to others inquiring on their behalf, or to the public generally, the specific reasons for selection or non-selection of applicants for awards.

Q: Do I have to undertake my research at a college or university or am I free to situate my research in another site?
A: In addition to schools and institutions of higher learning grantees may study or undertake research in libraries, galleries, studios, museums, or undertake private voice or musical studies, etc, without being formally sponsored by or associated with educational institutions overseas.

Q: Can I study at an American university in the UK?
A: In general, grantees may only be affiliated with US citizen-sponsored educational institutions abroad if the affiliation affords them an educational exchange experience comparable to the experience they would have in an educational institution of the host country. Approval may only be granted once the Fulbright Commission recommends such an institution for approval by the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board.  This is a lengthy process and is not guaranteed.

Q: I am putting together an application for a Fulbright Specialist.   Does the host university bear the cost of local travel, accommodation and meals or can the specialist pay for these?
A: We normally don't support proposals where the specialist pays for local travel, accommodation or meals as the host institution must be seen to support the specialist as much as possible.

Q: I am applying for the Fulbright Summer Institutes. If I am successful in obtaining a place on this programme, may I still apply for a Fulbright Award in future?
Special Programmes sucha s Summer Institutes do not preclude participants from applying for a Fulbright Award later in their academic career. The Summer Institutes are intentionally designed in such a way that allows participants to come back to the UK at postgraduate or postdoctoral level as a Fulbright Scholar.

Q: Which Fulbright grants does IIE help administer?
A: IIE  is only responsible for administering the Fulbright grants for Postgraduate awards.  CIES administers Fulbright grants for Scholar, Distinguished Chair and Visiting Professor awards.

Q: Are Fulbright grants awarded for study in a third country?
A: The US-UK Fulbright awards are intended to increase mutual understanding through educational exchange between the US and the UK.  Therefore, grants are not awarded for study in a third country.

Back to FAQs »