The US-UK Fulbright Commission participates in the Fulbright Inter-Country Travel Grant Programme which enables U.S Fulbright Scholars in Europe to create connections with other fellow scholars and institutions in their field in the United Kingdom.
US Fulbright Scholars in the UK can also benefit from the Fulbright Inter-Country Travel Grant opportunities. Please ask the inviting institution in your prospective host country in Europe to find out if the Fulbright Commission in that country offers Inter-Country Travel Grants.
The Inter-Country Travel Grant Programme provides:
- US scholars on Fulbright grants in Europe with opportunities to enrich their professional and cultural experience outside of their country of assignment.
- UK institutions with an opportunity to invite Fulbright grantees from other countries in Europe to lecture in the UK.
The inter-country scholar visit must take place during the US Scholar's Fulbright grant period.
The Fulbright travel grant will cover the visiting lecturer's airfare from the host country using the most economical fare. The UK institution is expected to cover the Scholar's in-country expenses (i.e. accommodation).
If selected, the grantee will be responsible for making his/her own travel arrangements.
How to apply
Applying for the Inter-Country Travel Grant is easy!
- The Fulbright Scholar identifies a higher education and/or research institution in the UK that they wish to visit. Alternatively, the UK host institution contacts the Fulbright Scholar on their Fulbright grant period in Europe. If the UK host doesn’t have a specific Fulbrighter in mind, they can identify a suitable scholar from the database of US Fulbright scholars in Europe for the current academic year. The Finish Fulbright Centre (Commission) maintains an updated list of the Current US Fulbright Scholars in eligible countries.
- Scholar and Host get in touch and agree on dates, content and logistics of the visit. Host must confirm willingness to cover in-country expenses.
- Host completes and submits a travel grant application to the US-UK Fulbright Commission. Please contact Ana Guerra Pereira at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the application form.
- You and your hosts will receive a joint letter from the US-UK Fulbright Commission with the grant decision – and, if selected, with details of the grant as well as other important information to help with your travel plans. (The message will be cc’ed to the Fulbright Commission in the country where the Scholar is based as a Fulbright grantee, or to the U.S. Embassy if you are a Fulbrighter in an European country that does not have a Fulbright Commission. This is simply to confirm that your host Commission/Embassy have no objections to the travel).
- After the visit, the Scholar’s travel costs will be reimbursed either directly to the host institution or to the visiting lecturer after the visit, and against submission of travel tickets and receipts. The Commission would also require submission of one or two photos of the Lecture.
Please note that the inter-country visit must take place during the period of the Scholar's Fulbright grant.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
For more information about the programme contact: Ana Guerra Pereira, Programme Manager, at email@example.com.