Distinguished Chair and Visiting Professor Awards are viewed as among the most prestigious appointments in the Fulbright Scholar programme. Candidates should be eminent scholars and have a significant publication and teaching record.
Applications for 2022-2023 are now open.
Each year, several Senior Scholar Awards are offered to US citizens to contribute to the intellectual life of UK universities through seminars, public lectures and curriculum development.
Senior Scholar Award grant periods last from three to six months. Depending on the Award, our grants can generally offer:
- Generous financial support and accommodation
- Limited sickness and accident coverage
- Logistical and visa support
- Cultural enrichment programmes and events
- Invitations to the European network of Fulbright events and conferences
- Membership of national arts and culture organisations
- Academic journal database packages
- Access to a global alumni network of collaborative engagement and cultural diplomacy, with over 300,000 academically and professionally accomplished members
In previous years, Senior Scholar Awards have offered financial support to comfortably cover the cost of living in the UK. Check individual Award pages for full details.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a US citizen
- Not currently reside in the UK
- Hold a PhD or equivalent professional training/experience in a relevant field before departure to the UK
Dual US-UK citizens are eligible to apply.
The US-UK Fulbright programme aims to foster cultural understanding between our two countries. Preference is therefore given to applicants who do not have extensive experience (six months or longer) in the UK.
Applicants with extensive UK experience should explain in detail how further experience in the UK will fulfil the Fulbright mission in ways that their prior visits did not.