The Fulbright University of Sussex Summer Institute is a four-week academic and cultural programme for US students, focusing on studying British culture.
The University of Sussex was founded in 1961 and has established an international reputation for the quality of its research and for innovative and effective styles of teaching, attracting scholars from all over the world. The provision of interdisciplinary modules, and small group teaching with individual attention, is key to their mission.
The university campus is on the edge of Brighton, an iconic seaside city that could have been designed for students. The campus is set in open parkland, with an excellent range of social and academic facilities. London is less than an hour from Brighton by train.
This Summer Institute allows students to:
- Choose one of several modules on British culture
- Attend classes alongside students from the UK and around the world
- Explore the cosmopolitan city of Brighton, with its beach, pier, markets, art, political activism and music
- Participate in seminars, debates and field trips
- Receive credits to transfer to their home institution, subject to prior arrangement between the student and their institution
Previous module choices have included:
- English Folklore
- London Look: Fashion Style
- Royals: Monarchy through Art/Architecture
- Exploring Sussex Wildlife and Habitats
- British Theatre
- Popular Literature in English: Children’s Literature
- Walking into History of Brighton/Hove: City and Social Changes
- British Popular Culture
In addition to exploring Brighton, previous cultural programmes have included the following:
- Bath and Stonehenge day trip
- Warner Bros Studio Tour London - The Making of Harry Potter
- Dark Side of Brighton Tour