Degree and university types
The 1,500+ institutions offering graduate degrees in the USA aren’t all the same type of university. There are several categories of institutions, each offering different expectations, experiences and degree types.
Things to know
- Academic master's degrees usually take two years to complete
- Other master's degrees, like LLMs and Executive MBAs, can take one year to complete
- PhDs are generally 4-6 years in length
- You should always make sure the university is accredited
- Although there is no US equivalent to the Russell Group, the following organisations might be useful:
Explore the links in this section to learn more about university accreditation and the different types of institution.