Postgraduate Award application instructions
We are looking for applicants who can engage with the USA in an atmosphere of openness, academic integrity and intellectual freedom, thereby promoting mutual understanding.
Academic excellence is important, but we are looking for more than that. The best applications are from well-rounded students who can demonstrate:
- Strong academic proposals and/or research projects
- Ambassadorial skills
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Genuine desire to learn more about the USA and to share aspects of British culture
- Extracurricular activities
- Community involvement
- Leadership potential
- Plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the UK upon returning
Choosing an Award
There are several Postgraduate Awards available each year. The All Disciplines Award is by far the most competitive, so it's important to apply for an Award that best fits your experience and interests.
Selection committees and interview panels will be looking for clear reasons for selecting your US university preference. We expect candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions that are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.
- Review the eligibility criteria
- Read the UK-specific application instructions
- Read the UK-specific terms and conditions
- When applications are open, we will link to the online portal via the banner at the bottom of this page, which includes:
- Biographical information
- Academic, professional and extracurricular accomplishments
- Fulbright project plans
- Personal statement
- Details of the US institution(s) to which you will apply
- Three referee nominations
- Upload all other required documents and materials:
- Scanned passport photo page
- Official final and/or interim transcripts
- US university admission letter (if applicable)
- Creative writing or artwork sample (if applicable)
- Complete the separate online US-UK Fulbright Commission Form
Embark, the online application, is used by Fulbright programmes around the world, and Awards differ greatly from country to country. There are many fields and instructions which do not apply to UK applicants.
You must read the UK-specific information and terms and conditions before you apply.
You must make a separate application to your chosen US institution(s), the timeline and deadlines for which will vary from the Fulbright application.
Both the online the Embark online application and the separate US-UK Fulbright Commission Form must be completed according to the above instructions for an application to be considered.
University and graduate programme application guidance is available from our EducationUSA advising centre. You do not need to have applied to a US university before submitting your Fulbright application, but must receive an offer of admissions from the institution(s) nominated in your proposal to receive your Fulbright grant if successful.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to a panel interview in January or February. Postgraduate Student Award interviews are in person, and cannot be rescheduled.
All applicants will be informed of their status by March. The Fulbright Commission cannot comment or provide feedback on individual applications.