Postgraduate Student Award timeline
In general, the Fulbright Awards competition for British citizens follows the below timeline. Candidates must make their own independent applications to US institutions.
For the 2020-21 awards:
- 15 August 2019: Applications open.
- 6 November 2019, 5pm GMT: Application deadline*.
- November-December 2019: Initial screening and review of applications are done by the US-UK Fulbright Commission and selection committee review panels. You should not expect to hear from the Commission during this time and staff will be unable to comment on the process or an individual’s application status.
- 31 January 2020: Interview shortlist released, and all applicants are notified of their application status.
- 3 - 14 February 2020: Interviews will be held in London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast (exact dates in each location will be released in 2020). We encourage candidates to attend interviews in person. Telephone/Skype interviews will be permitted in unavoidable and extenuating circumstances. It is the responsibility of the applicant to be available for interview at the date and time allocated and to cover the associated costs.
- Mid-March 2020: All interviewed candidates will be notified of the result of interviews. After the interviews, the recommendations of the interview panels will be considered by the Fulbright Commission, and Principal and Reserve offers will be made. Unsuccessful candidates will also be notified at this time.
- April 2020: Finalists are invited to the Finalists’ Workshop in London. This event provides information on the next steps in the Fulbright process, including the J-1 visa application process.
- April 2020: The US-UK Fulbright Commission nominates selected candidates to the Institute of International Education (IIE), the US Department of State and the J. William Fulbright Foreign Scholarship Board (FFSB) in Washington, DC for approval. Final approval of all grantees is made by the FFSB in late April. Until receiving this approval grantees are classed ‘Finalist Candidates’.
- April-June 2020: Fulbright and J1 visa paperwork.
- June or July 2020: Fulbright 2-3-day Pre-Departure Orientation (exact dates TBD).
- From mid-July 2020 to 30 April 2021: Independent departures, your Fulbright exchange begins. In exceptional cases, earlier departures from mid-June 2020 will be permitted if no alternative grant dates can be arranged.
*Exceptions to the application deadline:
- The British Friends of Harvard Business School Award typically remains open until April.
- The Fulbright Schuman Award is administered by the Fulbright Commission in Belgium. The application timeline differs slightly to that of the US-UK Fulbright Commission.
If you're interested in applying for a Fulbright Award, or you're an advisor/administrator who wants to promote the programme at your university, sign up here for news, tips and advice.