Take the time to thoroughly prepare for any admissions exam you have to take. They are the main gatekeepers of admissions decisions.
If you don’t hit the range a university is looking for, it is unlikely the rest of your application will be considered. American students applying to university will have been familiar with these tests for several years before they take them.
However, British students are capable of performing excellently and achieving the highest possible scores.
You should sit several full, timed practice tests including the writing portions, and plan a revision programme focussing on areas you need to improve.
There are many free resources to help you get a feel for the test format and revise appropriately:
- Official ACT test preparation
- Official SAT practice tests
- Official SAT daily questions
- Khan Academy Official SAT Practice
- Cates Tutoring ACT & SAT mock tests
- Kaplan Test Prep ACT resources
- Kaplan Test Prep SAT resources
If you need additional assistance, you can also consider using a test-tutoring organisation to receive a higher level of personalised support and services.