Since its founding by abolitionists in 1855, Bates College has been dedicated to the emancipating potential of the liberal arts and sciences.
The first co-educational college in New England, Bates educates the whole person through creative and rigorous scholarship in a collaborative residential community of 2,000 undergraduate students from 82 countries and most U.S. states.
With ardor and devotion — Amore ac Studio — we engage the transformative power of our differences, cultivating intellectual discovery and informed civic action. Preparing leaders sustained by a love of learning and a commitment to responsible stewardship, Bates is a college for coming times.
- Region: Northeast
- Location: Lewiston, Maine
- Campus setting: Urban
- Type of institution: Private; Liberal Arts College
Admissions information and areas of study offered
- Percentage of students admitted: 25%
- Average ACT range: 31
- Average SAT range: 1900-2150
- Test optional? Yes
- Common Application accepted? Yes
- Areas of study offered include: Anthropology; Area Studies; Arts; Biology; Chemistry; Dance; Drama/Theatre Arts; Economics; Education; Ethnic/Cultural Studies; English; Environmental Sciences; Gender Studies; Geology; History; Humanities; Languages; Mathematics; Music; Neuroscience; Philosophy; Physics; Political Science; Psychology; Sociology
- Full list of majors available: http://www.bates.edu/academics/
- International students are eligible for: Merit-based scholarship
- Additional financial aid information: Need-aware, full need: We have a need-aware admission policy, but we meet the full demonstrated financial need of admitted students
- Estimated yearly cost (including tuition, board, room and student fees): $60,720
- Athletic association for the majority of sports: NCAA - Division III
- Varsity sports: Men's American Football; Men's Athletics / Track and Field; Women's Athletics / Track and Field; Men's Baseball; Women's Softball; Men's Basketball; Women's Basketball; Men's Cross Country; Women's Cross Country; Women's Field Hockey; Women's Football / Soccer; Men's Football / Soccer; Men's Golf; Women's Golf; Men's Lacrosse; Women's Lacrosse; Men's Rowing; Women's Rowing; Men's Skiing; Women's Skiing; Men's Swimming and Diving; Women's Swimming and Diving; Men's Tennis; Women's Tennis; Women's Volleyball