Florida State University (FSU) is an internationally recognized and accredited institution located in central Tallahassee, the capital city of Florida, but with additional campuses in London, Valencia, Florence and Panama.
Designated as a Carnegie Research University, the highest designation for American research institutions, FSU awards over 2,000 graduate and professional degrees each year to a diverse student body representing all 50 states, and over 130 countries.
Combining traditional strength in the arts and humanities with recognized leadership in the sciences, Florida State University provides unmatched opportunities for students and faculty through challenging academics, cultural discovery and community interaction.
Through its innovative First Year Abroad (FYA) program, students who have applied and been accepted to FSU have the opportunity to spend the first year of their academic career studying at any of FSU's four international study centres in London, England; Florence, Italy; Valencia, Spain; or Panama City, Republic of Panama. Upon successful completion of the FYA year, students are eligible for a tuition waiver that reduces tuition fees by 70% for the remainder of their first undergraduate degree at FSU. For a typical four-year degree, tuition savings total around $40,000 USD.
- Region: Southeast
- Location: Tallahassee, Florida
- Campus setting: Suburban
- Type of institution: Public; American University Abroad
Admissions information and areas of study offered
- Percentage of students admitted: 49%
- Average ACT range: 28-32 (writing score not required)
- Average SAT range: 1290-1400 (essay not required)
- Test optional? No
- Common Application accepted? Yes
- Areas of study offered include: Accounting/Finance; Area Studies; Art History; Arts; Biology; Biomedical Engineering; Business; Chemistry; Communications; Computer Science; Creative Writing; Criminal Justice; Dance; Drama/Theatre Arts; Economics; Education; Ethnic/Cultural Studies; Engineering; English; Environmental Sciences; Film/Cinema Studies; Gender Studies; Geography; Geology; History; Hospitality, Travel & Tourism; Humanities; Information Sciences/Systems; International Relations; Languages; Liberal Arts; Linguistics; Literature; Management; Marketing; Mathematics; Medical Sciences; Military Sciences; Museum Studies; Music; Neuroscience; Nursing; Nutrition; Philosophy; Physics; Physiology; Political Science; Psychology; Public Relations/Affairs; Social Work; Sociology; Theology/Religion; Zoology
- Full list of majors available: http://admissions.fsu.edu/apply/majors.cfm
- International students are eligible for: Merit-based scholarship
- Estimated yearly cost (including tuition, board, room and student fees): $18,332 (in-state), $33,499 (out-of-state)
- Athletic association for the majority of sports: NCAA - Division I
- Varsity sports: Men's American Football; Women's Athletics / Track and Field; Men's Athletics / Track and Field; Men's Baseball; Women's Softball; Women's Basketball; Men's Basketball; Men's Cross Country; Women's Cross Country; Women's Football / Soccer; Men's Golf; Women's Golf; Men's Swimming and Diving; Women's Swimming and Diving; Men's Tennis; Women's Tennis; Women's Volleyball