The Massachusetts Institute of Technology is one of the world's pre-eminent research universities, dedicated to advancing knowledge and educating students in science, technology, and other areas of scholarship that will best serve the nation and the world in the 21st century.
It is known for rigorous academic programs, cutting-edge research, and diverse campus community.
MIT has forged educational and research collaborations with other universities, governments, and companies throughout the nation and the world, and draws its faculty and students from every corner of the globe. The result is a vigorous mix of people, ideas and programs dedicated to enhancing the world's well being.
- Region: Northeast
- Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Campus setting: Urban
- Type of institution: Private; Specialist Institution
Admissions information and areas of study offered
- Percentage of students admitted: 7.9%
- Average ACT range: 33-36
- Average SAT range: 2130-2400 (with writing included)
- Test optional? No
- Common Application accepted? No
- Areas of study offered include: Anthropology; Architecture; Astronomy; Biology; Biomedical Engineering; Business; Chemistry; Computer Science; Creative Writing; Drama/Theatre Arts; Economics; Engineering; Environmental Sciences; Gender Studies; Geology; History; Information Sciences/Systems; Languages; Linguistics; Literature; Management; Mathematics; Meteorology; Neuroscience; Oceanography; Philosophy; Physics; Political Science; Urban Planning; Urban Studies
- Full list of majors available: http://web.mit.edu/education/
- International students are eligible for: Need-based aid
- Estimated yearly cost (including tuition, board, room and student fees): $67,430
- Athletic association for the majority of sports: NCAA - Division III
- Varsity sports: Men's American Football; Men's Athletics / Track and Field; Women's Athletics / Track and Field; Men's Baseball; Women's Softball; Men's Basketball; Women's Basketball; Men's Cross Country; Women's Cross Country; Men's Fencing; Women's Fencing; Women's Field Hockey; Men's Football / Soccer; Women's Football / Soccer; Men's Lacrosse; Women's Lacrosse; Men's Rifle; Women's Rifle; Men's Rowing; Women's Rowing; Men's Swimming and Diving; Women's Swimming and Diving; Men's Tennis; Women's Tennis; Men's Volleyball; Women's Volleyball; Men's Water Polo