Founded in 1930 by the College of William & Mary, Old Dominion University began as an institution focused on the education and equipping of future teachers and engineers.
Independence came in 1962, and the university rapidly evolved into the four-year institution it is today. An educational powerhouse boasting seven colleges, an award-winning faculty, and an ever-evolving campus footprint, our determined entrepreneurial approach to problem-solving drives cutting-edge research, distinguished scholarship and strategic partnerships with government, business, the community, and the arts.
It’s a reputation we’re ready to put to work for you! Our urban campus in Norfolk, Virginia, is at the heart of a metro area of 1.6 million people.
Our location allows easy access to white-sand beaches, shopping, historic attractions, and cultural activities. Travel to other East Coast cities is simple from Norfolk International Airport, by train, or using ground transportation. The vibrant regional economy provides rich professional opportunities for ODU students and graduates.
- Region: South
- Location: Norfolk, Virginia
- Campus setting: Urban
- Type of institution: Private
Admissions information and areas of study offered
- Percentage of students admitted: 76%
- Average ACT range: 18-23
- Average SAT range: 930-1130 (without writing included)
- Test optional? Yes
- Common Application accepted? No
- Areas of study offered include: Accounting/Finance; Area Studies; Art History; Arts; Biology; Biomedical Engineering; Business; Chemistry; Communications; Computer Science; Creative Writing; Criminal Justice; Dance; Design; Drama/Theatre Arts; Economics; Education; Ethnic/Cultural Studies; Engineering; English; Environmental Sciences; Film/Cinema Studies; Gender Studies; Geography; Geology; History; Hospitality, Travel & Tourism; Humanities; Information Sciences/Systems; International Relations; Journalism; Labour/Industrial Relations; Languages; Liberal Arts; Linguistics; Literature; Management; Marketing; Mathematics; Medical Sciences; Military Sciences; Music; Neuroscience; Nursing; Oceanography; Philosophy; Physics; Physiology; Political Science; Psychology; Public Health; Public Policy; Public Relations/Affairs; Social Work; Sociology; Theology/Religion; Urban Planning; Zoology
- Full list of majors available: https://www.odu.edu/academics
- International students are eligible for: Merit-based scholarship
- Estimated yearly cost (including tuition, board, room and student fees): $41,700
- Athletic association for the majority of sports: NCAA - Division I
- Varsity sports: Men's American Football; Men's Baseball; Men's Basketball; Women's Basketball; Women's Field Hockey; Men's Football / Soccer; Men's Golf; Women's Golf; Women's Lacrosse; Men's Swimming and Diving; Women's Swimming and Diving; Men's Tennis; Women's Tennis; Men's Wrestling
College Day exhibitors you may also want to consider
- William and Mary and St Andrews - Joint Degree Programme
- University of Virginia