Located just 15 miles from Midtown Manhattan (New York City) Sarah Lawrence College is a highly selective, coeducational, liberal arts college enrolling 1,400 undergraduates and over 300 graduate students from 45 states, territories and DC, as well as citizens of 45 nations.
The community is primarily residential, with most undergraduate students living on campus. The College emphasizes independent, interdisciplinary study, which students pursue through courses that combine a small 10 to 15-person seminar with an independent study guided by bi-weekly meetings with the professor.
The writing-intensive curriculum includes rigorous programs in the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences and mathematics, as well as conservatory-level programs in the creative and performing arts. Sarah Lawrence does not offer formal majors; all degrees are Bachelor’s degrees in liberal arts but students may concentrate in a particular area.
Each student has a "don" or academic advisor, in the Oxford-Cambridge tradition, who helps each student design their program of study.
- Region: Northeast
- Location: Bronxville, New York
- Campus setting: Suburban
- Type of institution: Private; Liberal Arts College
Admissions information and areas of study offered
- Percentage of students admitted: 53%
- Average ACT range: 27-30
- Average SAT range: 1600-2070
- Test optional? Yes
- Common Application accepted? Yes
- Areas of study offered include: Anthropology; Area Studies; Art History; Biology; Chemistry; Computer Science; Dance; Design; Drama/Theatre Arts; Economics; Ethnic/Cultural Studies; English; Environmental Sciences; Film/Cinema Studies; Gender Studies; Geography; History; Humanities; International Relations; Languages; Liberal Arts; Literature; Mathematics; Music; Philosophy; Political Science; Psychology; Public Policy; Sociology; Theology/Religion
- Full list of majors available: https://www.sarahlawrence.edu/undergraduate/areas-of-study/
- International students are eligible for: Merit-based scholarship; need-based aid
- Estimated yearly cost (including tuition, board, room and student fees): $69,290
- Athletic association for the majority of sports: NCAA - Division III
- Varsity sports: Women's Softball; Men's Basketball; Women's Basketball; Men's Cross Country; Women's Cross Country; Men's Football / Soccer; Women's Football / Soccer; Men's Rowing; Women's Rowing; Men's Swimming and Diving; Women's Swimming and Diving; Men's Tennis; Women's Tennis; Men's Volleyball; Women's Volleyball