Imagine learning directly from thinkers such as Plato, Shakespeare, Nietzsche, and Galileo. St John's is a liberal arts college with a distinct purpose: reading and discussing the great books of Western civilization.
Johnnies participate in interdisciplinary discussion classes of 19 students or fewer. There are no lectures or majors.
Johnnies are original and unconventional, love ideas and discussion, and debate the authors who changed our world, from literature to science, mathematics, philosophy, music, language, and more.
St John's is one college founded in 1696, but there are two campuses to choose from—Annapolis, Maryland, or Santa Fe, New Mexico—each with approximately 450 students.
- Region: Northeast / West
- Location: Annapolis, Maryland; Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Campus setting: Rural
- Type of institution: Private; Liberal Arts College
Admissions information and areas of study offered
- Percentage of students admitted: 79%
- Average ACT range: 26-31
- Average SAT range: 1790-2150
- Test optional? Yes
- Common Application accepted? Yes
- Areas of study offered include: Liberal Arts
- Full list of majors available: http://www.sjc.edu/academic-programs/undergraduate/liberal-arts/
- International students are eligible for: Need-based aid; Merit-based scholarship
- Estimated yearly cost (including tuition, board, room and student fees): $62,500
- Athletic association for the majority of sports: N/A
- Varsity sports: Men's Fencing; Women's Fencing; Men's Rowing, Women's Rowing
College Day exhibitors you may also want to consider
- University of Chicago
- Sarah Lawrence College
- Swarthmore College
- University of Virginia
- Wellesley College