Supporting some of the UK's brightest students to apply and win funding to study at top US universities.
The Sutton Trust US Programme is designed to support high achieving Year 12 students from state schools across the UK to explore US study and access leading universities.
It includes two residentials in the UK, before all students spend a week in the US staying on campus at a leading US university and visiting a variety of other American universities.
An optional second year of the programme supports students to apply to US universities alongside their UCAS options.
In the past six years, we have helped more than 300 British students get places and funding at top US universities.
The Programme is founded and funded by the Sutton Trust, the UK’s leading social mobility charity, and delivered in partnership with the Fulbright Commission, who are experts in helping UK students study in the US.
It is free to take part in the programme.
To be eligible, students must:
- Currently be in Year 12 (England and Wales), S5 (Scotland), or Year 13 in Northern Ireland.
- Have always attended a state school or college (non-fee paying) in the UK
- Not hold US citizenship
- Be from a low-income family (generally, this will mean a household earning £45,000 or less)
- Be interested in US culture and higher education
Additional criteria: we are looking for applicants who also meet the criteria below. The more of these you meet, the more likely you are to secure a place:
- Would be the first generation of their family to attend university
- Have been eligible for free school meals
- Attend a school or college with a below-average A Level or Higher point score and/or a low rate of progression into higher education
- Live in a neighbourhood with a low rate of progression into higher education and/or a high level of socio-economic deprivation
- Have excellent GCSEs or S4 qualifications:
- England and Northern Ireland: Have achieved at least eight GCSEs at grade A or 7 or above, or near this level
- Wales: Have achieved at least eight GCSEs at grade A or above, or near this level
- Scotland: Have achieved at least six B passes at National 5 or above, or near this level
We open applications to the programme every November, with deadlines falling in late January or early February.
For more information, please visit the Sutton Trust US Programme website.