Fulbright Scholar Awards
As part of the Fulbright Visiting Scholar programme, our Scholar Awards provide the only scholarships available to academics and other professionals for lecturing and/or research in any discipline at any accredited US university.
Applications for 2021-2022 are now closed. Applications for 2022-2023 will be available on our website from August 2021. Stay informed by signing up to our UK Awards mailing list.
If you are interested in the Fulbright Postgraduate Awards, click here.
The All Disciplines Award can be applied to lecturing and/or researching at any accredited US university.
We also offer a number of of Awards partnered with US universities and professional or charitable bodies, as well as Awards in specific disciplines.
Scholar Award grant periods last from 3 to 12 months. Depending on the Award, our grants can generally offer:
- Generous monthly stipends
- Sickness and accident coverage
- J-1 visa sponsorship and pre-departure support & orientation
- Cultural enrichment programmes and events
- Support in the USA from the Council for the International Exchange of Scholars (CIES)
- Access to a global alumni network of collaborative engagement and cultural diplomacy, with over 300,000 academically and professionally accomplished members
Stipends vary from year to year. See individual Award pages for details.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be a UK citizen. We also welcome candidates from British Overseas Territories.
- Hold a PhD in a subject relevant to the award to which they are applying or have equivalent relevant professional degrees (e.g. medicine or law) or experience in the field
Dual US-UK citizens, US Green Card holders, or individuals who are resident in the US at the time of application are ineligible to apply.
Non-UK citizens who reside in the UK should contact the Commission to ascertain their eligibility for the UK programme. Some Fulbright Awards are open to any non-US citizen currently residing and committed to a career in the UK. Such exceptions, if any, will only be found on the individual Award pages of this website.
The US-UK Fulbright programme aims to foster cultural understanding between our two countries. Preference may therefore be given to applicants who do not have extensive experience (six months or longer) in the USA.
Applicants with extensive US experience should explain in detail how further experience in the USA will fulfil the Fulbright mission in ways that their prior visits did not.