From summer to summer
You should begin applying 12 months before you enrol. The following is a rough timeline, but each university can set their own deadlines, so make sure you do your research and planning.
- Finalise your programmes and external funding body choices, if necessary
- Make a schedule of application deadlines and requirements
- Check to confirm the last admissions exam testing date each university will allow you to sit
- Register for the appropriate admissions exam date if they are required
- Many graduate school applications open online on 1 August
- Begin drafting your university and funding applications
- Request your transcript and references from your university
- Early application deadlines: early December - it is strongly advised you apply by an early deadline if they are available
- Continue to apply for additional scholarships from the university and external funding bodies during the winter and early spring
- Regular application deadlines: March, but you should submit your application as early as possible
- Admissions and university funding decisions are usually released by April
- Notify universities of your decision by 15 May
- Begin your visa application process and attend a visa interview between May and August
- Read the Fulbright pre-departure guide and complete our survey to win prizes!
- Orientation usually begins between mid-August and early September, but don’t book your flights until you know your arrival date
- Begin studying in the USA!