Brown University (MFA)
The Fulbright Postgraduate Student Award at Brown University enables a British student to pursue a Master’s in Fine Arts in Literary Arts or Playwriting at Brown University.
Brown University, founded in 1764, is a member of the Ivy League and recognised for the quality of its teaching, research, and unique curriculum. Located in historic Providence, Rhode Island, Brown University is the seventh-oldest college in the USA. Brown University's Graduate School offers 51 doctoral programmes, including those of the School of Engineering and the School of Public Health. Brown is renowned for its distinctive student body — independent and self-directed — and for the educational culture that fosters these qualities. Its small size compared to most other leading research universities provides a human scale that allows members of the university community to interact on a meaningful personal level and to develop relationships that enhance the teaching and research work of the university. Brown is committed to excellence in research as well as in teaching. All regular faculty members actively pursue their own research and intellectual interests, teach in both graduate and undergraduate programmes and are active in the direction of theses and dissertations.
Graduate students in Brown's Literary Arts MFA programme may choose to focus in one of three tracks — Fiction, Poetry, or Digital/Cross Disciplinary Writing. The programme is structured to allow graduate student writers maximum possible time for creative and intellectual exploration.
The MFA in Playwriting seeks students who define themselves as writers, and whose writing resists definition — but involves a keen, tireless attention to live performance. The programme is a place to study what writing for theatre has been, while honing a creative practice that also feeds voraciously on the nontheatrical: all kinds of literature, art, rebellion, and thought. Above all it is a place — and time — to write like you've never written before.
This Award covers two years of MFA study.
- Full tuition: Tuition will be covered within the two-year guarantee. For 2022-23 tuition is $60,944.
- Stipend: A stipend that will award no less than $27,605 for each academic year.
- Transitional funding: A transitional stipend in the amount of $1,200 to be dispersed in the first weeks of your first semester.
- Summer stipend: An additional stipend of $3,000 will be awarded to cover the summer period between the two years of study.
- Health insurance: Brown University will cover the cost of the full premium of your student health insurance plan.
- Dental insurance: Brown University will cover the cost of the full premium of your student dental insurance plan.
For more information about making an application, visit our How to Apply page.