Postgraduate Student Award timeline
See below for the Fulbright Awards timeline for British citizens.
Please note that candidates who are not using the IIE Placement Model will need to make their own independent applications to US institutions.
For the 2023-24 awards (please note that the timeline has changed significantly this year):
- Early March 2022: Applications open.
- Tuesday 31 May 2022, 5pm BST: Deadline for applications. Please note that we do not consider late applications. All applications have to be submitted online, and we do not accept applications via e-mail.
- June-July 2022: Initial screening and review of applications are done by review panels. You should not expect to hear from the Commission during this time, and staff will be unable to comment on the process or an individual application’s status.
- Mid-August 2022: If shortlisted, successful candidates must be available for interview. You will be given at least one week’s notice to prepare for the interview. It is the responsibility of the applicant to be available for interview on the date and at the time allocated and to cover associated costs. We have a tight schedule and are therefore unable to reschedule interviews. Candidates who have not been selected for interview will be notified via e-mail by the end of August 2022. Please check your spam folder for the message.
- Early September 2022: All candidates will be notified of the interview outcome.
- From late September 2022 onwards: Selected grantees on the IIE placement track will be paired and will start working with IIE Advisors.
- March-July 2023: Fulbright and J-1 visa paperwork.
- From late July 2023 onwards: Independent departures, your Fulbright exchange begins. In exceptional cases, earlier departures may be permitted if no alternative grant dates can be arranged.