The Study of the US Institutes (SUSIs) for Student Leaders are five-week academic summer programmes for undergraduate students, to improve their understanding of the USA and develop leadership skills.
The SUSIs include an academic residency at a US university during the summer break (June through August). They consist of:
- Interactive classroom activities
- Site visits
- Leadership development activities
- Community service
Participants will also spend one-week on an integrated, educational study tour and have opportunities to interact with their American peers while on campus.
The Institutes are fully funded, with all participant costs covered, including:
- Return airfare and some domestic travel allowances
- Housing and meals in shared university accommodation
- Small daily allowance
- Health and accident insurance (pre-existing conditions not covered)
Housing and Meal Arrangements: Housing will be in shared university dorms on campus with common bathrooms. Male participants will be housed on one-floor and female participants on a separate floor. Most meals will be provided at campus facilities, though participants may have access to a kitchen to cook some meals on their own.
Health Benefits: All participants will receive the Department of State’s coverage of $100,000 with a $25 co-pay per medical visit and $75 co-pay per emergency room visit for the duration of the program. Pre-existing conditions are not covered. Information on the health benefit program may be found online here.
If successful, you will be joined by other participants from universities across Europe. Each Institute will have roughly 20 participants from all over Europe.
To be eligible, students must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 25
- Be interested in chosen Institute topic
- Be a UK citizen
- Attend a recognised UK university
- Have at least one year of study remaining after the Institute finishes
- Have little or no prior travel to the USA
- Not hold US citizenship or permanent residency
- Be eligible to receive a US J-1 Visa
Candidates should also:
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university and community activities
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States
- Have sustained a high level of academic achievement
- Be mature, responsible, independent, confident, open-minded, tolerant, thoughtful and inquisitive
- Be willing to fully participate in an intensive academic programme, community service and educational travel
For non-UK citizens enrolled at a UK university, please contact the US Embassy or Fulbright Commission in your home country.
Participants in the SUSI programme will enter the USA on a J-1 visa. The terms of this visa do not allow you to remain in the USA at the end of the programme for personal travel. You must leave the USA upon completion of the Institute.
For each institute, two alternate candidates will also be selected in case the finalist is unable to attend.