From summer to summer
You should begin applying 12 months before you enrol. The following is a rough timeline, but each university can set their own deadlines, so make sure you do your research and planning.
- Finalise your university and external funding body choices, if necessary
- Most university applications open online on 1 August, including the Common Application (used by over 650 US universities)
- Begin drafting your university and funding applications
- Make a schedule of application deadlines and requirements
- Check to confirm the last ACT or SAT testing date each university will allow you to sit
- Register for the appropriate ACT or SAT date if they are required
- Attend USA College Day in September to meet universities and demonstrate interest
- Request your transcript and references from your school
- Register for and start completing the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE if necessary
- Early application deadlines: early to mid-November
- Early admissions and university funding decisions released in December
- Regular application deadlines: between January and March
- Continue to apply for additional scholarships from the university and external funding bodies during the winter and early spring
- Regular admissions and university funding decisions released between March and April
- Notify universities of your decision by 1 May
- Begin your visa application process and attend a visa interview between May and August
- Read the Fulbright pre-departure guide and complete our survey to win prizes!
- Orientation usually begins between mid-August and early September, but don’t book your flights until you know your arrival date
- Begin studying in the USA!