The Fulbright UK Summer Institutes are three to four week programmes for US undergraduate students, who have no or very little travel experience outside North America. Participants can explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK while experiencing higher education at a UK university.
Please note: due to COVID-19, we are not selecting participants for the 2021 UK Summer Institutes programme. Applications for the 2022 Summer Institutes are due to open in November 2021. Please continue to check our website for updates.
The US-UK Fulbright Commission UK Summer Institutes are made possible through generous donations from private individuals and through a Study Abroad Engagement Grant from USA Study Abroad within the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, U.S. Department of State, and our partnership with some of the top UK institutions.
Depending on the Institute, students will have the opportunity to:
- Study alongside leading academics and professionals
- Develop knowledge in specific fields
- Experience cultural and social events
- Visit UK cultural sites and areas of scenic beauty
- Receive credit to transfer to their home institution
- Meet people from different backgrounds and cultures
- Become an ambassador for studying in the UK, for the Fulbright Commission and their host institution(s)
The Institute costs covered by the Fulbright Commission and its partner institutions include:
- Return US-UK airfare
- Tuition and fees at the host institution
- In some cases, a small daily allowance for meals
To be eligible, students must:
- Be a US citizen and possess a US passport
- Have had no or very little study/travel experience outside of North America
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.7
- Be at least 18 years old by the start of the programme
- Be able to participate in the programme in its entirety
- Have at least two years of undergraduate study remaining after the Institute finishes
Please see our FAQs page for more information.
Applications for the UKSIs are closed. Please see the timeline for dates of the next application window.