Degree and university types
The 4,000+ undergraduate institutions in the USA aren’t all the same type of university. There are several categories of institutions, each offering different expectations, experiences and degree types.
Things to know
- Associate’s degrees take two years to complete and often have a vocational focus
- Bachelor’s degrees are four years in length
- Specialist degrees, like engineering or the performing arts, will have different requirements and application procedures
- Law and medicine are postgraduate degrees - you will need at least a bachelor's degree to apply
- You should always make sure the university is accredited
Explore the links in this section to learn more about university accreditation and the different types of institution.